Our mission is simple:
To provide and coordinate effective and accessible long-term chronic pain management for primary care.
We are one of very few clinics in NZ who are dedicated to the cause.
How does 2will provide pain management?
This requires a wholesales change from how physiotherapy is usually done. These involve changes in and/or application of:
- Philosophical approach to medicine and healthcare
- Clinical reasoning used (moving on from the traditional hypothetico-deductive, to hypothesis-generating causality model of abductive reasoning)
- Scientific knowledge in pain
- Biopsychosocial model and its context
- Clinical care of cognitive-affective-behaviour components that are often associated with chronic pain
- Management of biostructural component by influencing physical load distribution
- Management of neurobiological component by facilitating endogenous pain modulation
- Psychological concepts on Resilience and Intrinsic Motivation
Our vision and model are backed by Auckland Council
Then the business itself must be structured to allow the above to occur naturally. The clinic must:
- Create a business model that allows execution of the above clinical components (click here for our consultation structure)
- Remove barriers to encourage the patients to attend frequently and be supervised consistently
- Be an environment that is safe for their physical and mental health
- Offer patients options to cater for individual needs
- Offer pathways towards independence
- Have a team that is prepared to meet the needs of this cohort of patients
Albany Stadium Pool and Auckland Council are giving amazing support to cater for the needs of our patients – they are truly on board with the goal of helping those who have “disappeared” from the community and life-participation due to pain and physical conditions.
Types of patients who will benefit the most from us are those who:
- Have just been discharged from the DHB Pain Team such as TARPS
- Don’t meet the urgent criteria for DHB Pain Team and are waiting
- Have post-operative pain (earlier the better)
- Have Complex Regional Pain Syndrome, esp with early signs post trauma
- Have persistent or chronic pain of any nature
- Are elderlies who need some level of physical conditioning but unsure how
- Have had significant medical episodes needing long-term rehabilitation (stroke, spinal cord, complex trauma
- Are having mental illnesses who may benefit from doing some regular exercises
We have often found that those with chronic pain or complex injuries “give up on themselves” due to lack of provision of pain services that primary care has in place. Health professionals end up saying something along the line of “there’s not a lot we can do and you have to learn to live with it”.
Often all they need is a place where they can consistently turn up, exercise safely, be motivated and be guided.
2will physiotherapy & pain management clinic is where they can do that, so they will indeed learn to live well regardless of whatever condition or history they have. Please click here to see examples of our work.